This past year I have really been embracing SOUPS!
Why have I resisted so long?
They are so easy to make, they totally fill me up and it’s a great way to use up all those veggies in your fridge before they go bad!! (I hate wasting money!!)
Yes, just like my fashion sense- I’m always a step behind and slow to catch on.
Yesterday I made this hearty vegetable soup and had a lot of people ask for the recipe- so here it is! Nothing earth shattering at all- but boy oh boy is it tasty!! Note: Use whatever vegetables you like! Load it up!
I offer two tips:
1. Make sure you cut the veggies into bite size pieces. Sounds like a no brainer right? Well- this first time I made this I did NOT and made quite a spectacle of myself trying to eat this….’nuff said.
2. Add tomato paste! It’s not necessary- but I love the extra flavor and the bit of added texture it gives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 stalks celery, washed and sliced up
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced up
- 1 qt Pacific Organic Vegetable Stock (you can use any one with no fat or additives)
- 1-2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups Green Beans, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Zucchini, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Summer Squash, cut into bite size pieces
- 1+ cup Mushrooms, sliced
- 2+ cups Spinach (or other dark greens –kale, collard greens..)
- 1- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (add more or less to your liking)
- 2-3 qts cold water (depending on the size of your pan)
- 1-2 tsp black pepper (add more or less to your liking)
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- In a large soup pan, over low heat, sauté garlic in about 1 cup of the vegetable stock.
- Keep an eye on it as the stock will cook off if the heat is too high.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and remainder of the stock; turn heat up to medium.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes and then add the green beans, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and water.
- Cook another 10-15 minutes then add spinach or leafy greens; the greens add lots of good fiber and make the soup really filling so use extra if you want.
- Turn the heat down, add the black pepper, salt (optional) and fresh lemon juice and let everything simmer.
- The veggies are better for you if they’re a little al dente so keep that in mind for your simmering time.
If you liked this recipe share it with your friends! Leave a comment below to let me know your favorite spin on Vegetable Soup!